By Michalis Zaouras on October 09, 2009

Obama wins Nobel Prize, what’s next Charilaos Stavrakis for the economics?

Nobel prizes are thought to be prestigious and given to people that have really made an impact either in an area of their studies or for the well being of humanity. But I was a bit of a shocked when I read today that President Obama has won the peace Nobel Prize, because as far as I know, and I do admit that I am not an expert on politics, he hasn’t contributed anything substantial. He has though made a lot of promises and he is really trying into realize them, but is that enough for a Nobel Prize. Not to forget that he has won the peace Nobel Prize and his country is still in war with Iraq and Afganistan. I would like to note that there is a debate going on other webpages about that decision and I have found that a lot of people are expressing the same opinion.

Based on the above and the logic that the Nobel committee have used to come to their decision we should not be surprised if Charilaos Stavrakis wins the Nobel for economics. Why not he has also promised a lot of things, an utopia since most of the times have nothing to do with economic intuition, but hasn’t delivered much. An example would be the disagreement with the Central Bank of Cyprus on April about measures against the economic depression and the revision of his policies some months later.

Obviously the above reasoning for the next economics Nobel winner is an exaggeration and I didn’t meant to insult to anyone, but my purpose was to inform and make us think of some matters that going on the international agenda. Because it is in my opinion that something else must be there that I am missing, speaking about the winners of the Nobel prizes.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha - i like it. They should give me the noble for economics, the phd I am planning to soon publish is awesome, and unlike Obama's commitment in Afganistan - it has a definite termination period.

    ReplyDelete